University of Mumbai allows students to pursue M Sc degree program in two modes:
- M Sc by papers
- M Sc partly by papers & partly by Research
Though masters level programs are traditionally conducted by University Departments, affiliated colleges are contributing importantly in this activity in Mumbai University area. Ramnarain Ruia College undertakes its share of this responsibility and offers up-to-date facilities for running Postgraduate courses in various subjects by virtue of its strong research culture & tradition.
To conduct these courses, each department needs to have university recognition as well as faculty members who are recognized PG teachers of the University of Mumbai. These teachers are responsible for the conduct of M. Sc by Papers courses. For M. Sc by Research a separate recognition of University is required for both teachers and Department. List of such teachers and departments are available with PG section of University of Mumbai, Fort Campus.
The subjects for which Ramnarain Ruia College is recognized and departments responsible for their implementation are:
|M Sc (Aided) (By Papers & By Research)||Department to be contacted|
|Life Science||Life Science|
|Physics (By Papers only)||Physics|
|Microbiology (By Research only)||Microbiology|
|M Sc (Self Financing)|
|Computer Science||Computer Science|
|Microbiology (by Papers)||Microbiology|
|M Sc (UGC Assisted)|
|Bioanalytical Sciences||Bioanalytical Sciences|
The categories "Aided", "Self Financing" and "UGC assisted" indicates financial assistance received / not received and thus reflects on the fee structure of the course.
M.Sc. by Papers
Ramnarain Ruia College conducts M.Sc (by papers) courses of University of Mumbai for following subjects. The course eligibility, admission process, fee structure, syllabus, examination pattern etc are as per the rules and guidelines of University of Mumbai. College is one of the centers for such courses.
|Type||Subject||No of Seats||Admitting Authority Admission Criteria|
|Total||Filled by University||Filled by College||University Seats||College Seats|
|Aided/td>||Botany||12||8||4||PG Section Merit (B.Sc. Marks in respective subject)||Allotted by College Management preference is given to college students Merit (B.Sc. Marks in respective subject)|
Head of respective University Depts.
|Self Financing||Computer Science||30||--||30||--||College Management, Merit|
|Biochemistry||10||7||3||PG Section Merit (B.Sc. Marks in respective subject)||Allotted by College Management; preference is given to college students; Merit (B.Sc. Marks in respective subject)|
|Herbal Science||10*||--||10||--||College Management, Entrance Examination|
|UGC Assisted||Bioanalytical Sciences||20||--||20||--||College Management Entrance Examination|
* Note: Seat No may increase to 20 if permitted by University & Government
The admission process for University seats of M.Sc by papers for aided courses listed above is conducted by PG section of University of Mumbai / Heads of respective University departments (see column 6 in the table above). This process generally starts immediately after the B. Sc. results are announced. Students should visit respective admission centers for the same along with their mark lists within specified period (usually 10 to 15 days) and apply for admission against university seats. After collecting applications admitting authorities announce successive merit lists (usually 3) after specified intervals. For further details contact these authorities. Since each subject admission process is different, students are advised to read all instructions displayed at such centers very carefully and STRICTLY ADHERE TO DEADLINES SPECIFIED. If you miss the last date, you will miss that year and will have to wait for next year's admission process.
Students from other universities are required to take their admissions through university admission process, since there is specific quota for such students / universities. College seats are preferentially allotted to college students.
College seats admission process also starts immediately after University of Mumbai B. Sc. results are announced. Generally department of responsible for respective subjects coordinates the admission process. Each subject / departmental procedure is different and details should be obtained from the respective admission authority. Check departmental notice boards / web pages during this period. General steps are
- Collection of preadmission forms up to a specified date
- Preparation of list of eligible candidates
- Meeting with college management / admission authorities
- Submission of the college list to university / allotting letters admitted students
- Submission of the college letter by student to university (PG section / Head, University dept wherever applicable) and payment of university fees at university and getting allotment letter from university along with enrollment form
- Obtaining college admission form against university letter , completing all documentary requirements, payment of college share of the fees if applicable
- Attending the course work regularly - theory sessions at designated centers, practicals in the college.
- For self financed course of Computer Science and Bioanalytical sciences - the entire process is completed in the college.
THOUGH WE ATTEMPT TO GIVE YOU UP TO DATE INFORMATION HERE, AT THE TIME OF ADMISSION, YOU ARE REQUESTED TO KINDLY CHECK WITH COLLEGE / DEPARTMENTAL NOTICE BOARDS FOR EXACT PROCEDURE TO BE FOLLOWED / ANY LAST MINUTE CHANGES / INSTRUCTIONS DURING THAT YEAR.
M.Sc. by Research
M.Sc by Research program is available in subjects listed below. For more details about the area of interest, no of students, research schemes, research publication etc of individual guides, visit Research pages of this website
|Subject||Sanctioned capacity*#||Registered students*||Guide/s|
Dr Mrs. B Patel
Dr. Mrs. S Shailajan
Dr. Mrs. J Pius
Dr. Mrs. B. Narula
Dr. Mrs. R Sivabalan
DR S. Menon
Dr. S Bhagwat
Dr. J N Gadre
Dr. S. R. Pednekar
Dr. K. Mangaonkar
Dr. S S Kamat
Dr. P. A. Sathe
Dr. Mrs. V Dighe
Dr. Vikas Viadya
Dr. Manish Hate
Dr R P Phadke
Mrs. L R Phadke
Dr. D Vora
Mrs. U Palan
Mrs. A Lokur
*Note: The number in column 2 & 3 are no of total no of both M Sc & Ph D research students.
# The sanctioned capacity indicative of maximum permissible number. It is not mandatory for college to fill up the vacancies. The actual no of research students taken up depends on the availability of guide, research funds /grants available. Please note that all teachers listed are involved mainly in undergraduate teaching.
@ Dr K Mangaonkar has now joined Mithibai College as Principal
Salient features of the program
- This program is aptly described as partly by research and partly by papers, since students enrolling in this program have to appear for 2 designated papers along with by paper students and clear them before the final synopsis / thesis submission.
- On an average it takes, depending on the subject, guide and students, anywhere between 2.5 to 4 years to complete the work and all formalities associated with this course.
- Students can join anytime, through out the year. The admission to this program for a qualified student depends on the availability of research seats in the given laboratory and the selection by respective guide.
Highlight of steps
- Prospective student can meet different guides available in your subject and explore possibilities
- IF your B. Sc. is one subject and you wish to do M.Sc. in another related subject, get your eligibility for that subject confirmed from the University. Also students from different universities should also get provisional eligibility from the University. List of approved guides in any given subject is available with PG section, Fort Campus of University of Mumbai.
- Student can select guides from the list for his program and approach the specified guides for discussion.
- Once the guide decides to accept a students and college authorities approve it, (depending on the availability of seats and funding) , student is required to prepare a research proposal in a designated format under the guidance of guide and submit it to the University through college office for approval.
- R & R committee of the university will scrutinize it. If accepted by this committee, student can register for M.Sc by Research with university through college office and take formal admission to the college. (Remember that these two are separate processes)
- Student can work on his research problem under the direction of guide for a mandatory minimum period of 22 months.
- During this period students has to appear for 2 theory papers either in March or in October examination by filling up examination form along with paper students. He has to get minimum 50% marks in each to pass.
- Once the research work is over and theory papers are cleared, student can prepare the synopsis of his thesis in a specified format and submit it to university. At the time of this submission students should clear all university dues and complete other paper work like confirmation of eligibility etc.
- Within 6 months of submission of synopsis student is required to submit the final thesis in specified format.
- In about 2 to 3 months time university will get reports of the examiners and if favourable will arrange for a viva voce examination where the guide and external referee will act as examiners and based on performance and thesis contents will decide whether the thesis is suitable for granting the degree.
- Results will be communicated to student usually in about 15 days.
- If declared successful students is now M.Sc in that subject and should apply for degree certificate when university announces convocation (twice every year)