Department of Herbal Science
Self financed post graduate Course established in 2008
Aims and Objectives of the course:
The main objective of the two year M.Sc programme in Herbal Sciences is to develop trained human resources for the fast growing Herbal Industry.
Herbal science a career oriented professional course may cater to the needs of the students of the area and provide opportunity and career avenues to the students of Biological Sciences.
Train work force with enough knowledge of Herbal Sciences for quality formulations received by end-user.
This course provides potential source of knowledge for biodynamic compounds useful in providing effective health care to the poor world.
Admission Process :
Duration: Two Years (Full Time)
Eligibility: Graduate in any Biological Sciences or Chemistry (Minimum 50 %) with any Biological subject upto second year SYBSc.
Criteria of Selection: Entrance Test
Selection of Candidates: Admissions will be granted as per rules laid down by the University of Mumbai. It will be based on the performance of the candidate in the entrance examination. Capacity: Intake Capacity for Part I =20 seats and for Part II = 20 seats.
M.Sc. Semester I and II - Herbal Science Syllabus
Credit Based and Grading System
Academic year 2012-2013
| Plant Sciences I
|| Modern Plant Authentification Techniques
|| Cultivation Practices I
| Plant Sciences II
|| Genomics, Proteomics, Bioinformatics and Biostatistics
||Cultivation Practices II
Few of the research projects undertaken by our students
- Evaluation of polyherbal - Trichup hairfall control oil and Trichup anti-dandruff oil (Vasu Research Centre)
- Formulation and development of herbal anti aging cream. (Dr. Sitaram Dixit S.H. Kelkar Company Pvt. Ltd)
- Study of Cuscuta on different hosts. (R. Ruia College. Mumbai)
- Nutritive Evaluation of Some Selected Pulses (Piramal Life Sciences Ltd.Goregaon,Mumbai)
- Antibacterial Activity of Holarrhena antidesyenterica and determination of marker bands in formulation. (Sandu Brothers Pvt Ltd)
- Guggul Shodhan; Compariative study between Ashodit and Shodit Gugul Sample (Dhootpapeshwar Industries Pvt Ltd)
- Evaluation of herbal syrup formulation. (Piramal Life Sciences Ltd.Goregaon,Mumbai)
- Antioxidants and Antimicrobial activities of Caryota Urens (Haffkine Institute)