Department of Microbiology
CPE: Academic Committee – ICT implementation & designing teaching material
Report & Action plan of work (12th Aug 2011)
We are exploring various platforms suitable for this purpose and narrowed down to following four platforms for implementation
- Moodle platform is available on college LAN as well as on newly developing college website at www.ruiacollege.co.in/moodle. In order to check its functionality before its release to use by all departments, we have uploaded following trail courses for FYBSc Microbiology students
- Paper I Semester I – assignment 1 submissions (Mrs. L R Phadke)
- Paper II Semester I Preparation of objective question bank and getting output for class test to be conducted in August 2011 (Dr R P Phadke)
- Computer literacy for biology students (Dr R P Phadke) to be started from 16th Aug 2011
This activity has helped us in training 80 F Y B Sc students to log on to Moodle website, get familiar with the layout, navigate through it, post their comments and upload file on the server.
- Sakai Platform is made available on College LAN and department is using it for managing PG students. Currently all M Sc part II students are registered and are experimenting with using it for daily record keeping. M Sc Part I students are also getting registered as and when they are taking admissions.
- Google Platform is being used for variety of activities listed below. The features of Google used for this purpose are – Google groups, Google Websites and Google Documents.
- Student Groups of all classes i.e. FY, SY, TY, M Sc Part I and M Sc Part II students where exchange of notices (eg weekly plan for practicals), study material, free exchange of ideas is encouraged.
- Goolge documents are used for making available study material usually in the form of PDF files, document files as well as keeping attendance records (visible to all students)
- Google website are used for creating class websites using an excellent template available on Google sites where assignments, opinion poles, notices, links etc are made available. IT is also used for creating Webquest (using webquest template available for student assignment.
This activity has resulted in ALL 80 F Y B Sc students having email id, able to post their files through email utility to a specified email id, log on to Google group and post discussions, guided navigation of Internet for specific purpose, collect information and prepare report.
- Referata platform is a semantics wiki platform where we have experimented earlier with FY & SY students on creating collaborative semantics and ontology based wiki on specific topics of FY and SY. Depending on student response we are hoping to revive this concept this year preferably with M Sc as the concept is bit difficult for UG students.
List of Teachers involved in the program (as on 11th Aug 2011)
|Name of the teacher
||Classes for implementation
|Dr R Phadke
||F.Y. to M.Sc.
||All listed above
|Mrs. L R Phadke
|Ms. M. Deshmukh
List of students involved
- All F Y B Sc Microbiology (CPMic, CBMic, CPMic) students (80)
- All M Sc part II students (19)
- All M Sc Part I student (5 registered to date)
Class: - For FYBSc
Paper I: Fundamentals of Microbiology - Topics identified
- Units 1 to 3 are to be taught in the first semester - There are a few topics in this paper where students can collect reading material & put it up on Moodle for sharing. One such topic is history of Microbiology from unit 1. Even if you take ten lectures on the topic, you will not be able to cover & do justice to all the scientists. Therefore students will be encouraged to collect interesting reading material with photographs of the scientists & appropriate diagrams of their work that will stimulate interest in the subject in a fresher’s mind.
- Unit 3, which deals with nutrition, cultivation of microorganisms, it is difficult for students to understand concept of types of media. So at the end of the topic I can give them five thought provoking questions & invite the students to answer those using Moodle. There can be a discussion on those answers, which should clear their concepts
- Paper I unit 5 second term - Unit 5 includes study of algae, usually the difficulty level of algal classification is high, and students find it hard to imagine the differences between different groups of algae. So they can be told to gather information & pictures describing \ depicting groups of algae which might make the topic more interesting.
- developing Webquests for important conceptual topics for month of Aug-Sept (post class test assignment) as well as for second term topics.
- Finalizing the Interdisciplinary on line course Computer literacy for Biology for implementation to F Y B Sc students from 15th Aug 2011. This course is being developed under Star College initiative. At first instance all F Y B Sc Microbiology students will participate in this course though course is open to anybody interested.
- Helping M. Sc students generate their e-portfolio on Sakai for their possible future use for Ph D admissions / jobs (along with their Recommendation Letters).
- Reviving interest in Referata semantic wiki