Year of establishment: 1979
Welcome to Dept of Commerce
Department of Commerce was started in 1979 to let the students of Arts take ‘Commerce’ as an optional paper and learn basics of commerce. These papers do not contain any accounts, maths or statistics to make it easier option for students. ‘Commerce’ subject as an option for Arts students was initiated by Mumbai University to expand the career horizon of the students from Arts stream. Presently it is offered by only 6 to 7 colleges in Mumbai and this subject is also largely opted for by students from correspondence courses offered by Mumbai University. Accordingly, at the TYBA level, a student can take three papers of Commerce and three papers of Economics respectively for their graduation degree.
Ms Urmila Prasad : Head of Department of Commerce
M. Com (specialization – Advanced Accountancy), 1995,
Sydenham college of Commerce and Economics, Churchgate, Mumbai.
Papers taught under ‘Commerce’ subject option under Arts stream:
|FYBA||I||Introduction to Commerce and Business Organization||100||Brief introduction to topics like Banking, Insurance, Business Organizations etc.|
|SYBA||II||Finance Management||100||Finance related terms like capital structure, working and fixed capital, Capital markets, stock markets.|
|III||Marketing Management||100||Marketing concepts like Marketing Research, Product planning and development, consumer behavior etc.|
|TYBA||IV||Introduction to Management||100||Principles of Management, Management thoughts, Functions of Management.|
|V||Human Resources Management||100||
Functions of HRM, Employment and Development.
|VI||Export Managment||100||Export procedures, institutions promoting exports (80 Marks Theory and 20 Marks Project)|
*Note : The above papers do not consist Mathematics, Statistics, or Accounts.
Activities of Department of Commerce 2011-12:
On the eve of the Platinum Jubilee year, all the departments of Ramnarain Ruia College conducted their activities under the title 'Samanvaya' . Commerce Department conducted the festival 'Commercium' and conducted it at the inter-collegiate level.
Commercium got its unique logo depicting globalisation and corporate world. Under the two days festival conducted on 13th and 14th September 2011, various activities were conducted as follows:
1. Business Quiz.
2. Salesman of the Year.
3. Logo Makeover.
4. Elocution and Debate.
5. Click-Photography competition.
6. I want to be a millionaire.
Approximately 70 participants from all over Mumbai colleges took part in various competitions. The festival Commercium was a grand success.
Following activities are planned for the second semester:
1. Workshop on Investments by SEBI.
2. Workshop on'Self-Assessment'.
3. Seminar on Career in MBA.
4. Group Discussion training.
Activities of Department of Commerce (2010-11)
Ruia Commerce Association initiated the activities for the year with an interactive session on “How to Lead Yourself” was conducted by Mr. Neeraj Manchanda on 31st August 2010 as the inaugural event of the year. Having acquired Civil Engineering degree from Mumbai University and Postgraduate degree in Marketing from NMIMS, Mr. Neeraj Manchanda has worked with various leading organisations and is associated with more than 45 organizations as a management and training consultant. The purpose of his talk was based on self-motivation, managing emotions and leadership qualities. He delivered a very inspiring and guiding session truly for students.
It was followed by a highly interesting ‘Case Study Discussion Session in Marketing’ conducted by Mr. Gejo Srinivasan, Consultant in career launcher and CEO, Elyon Education. He has acquired Chemical Engineering degree from IIT Madras and Postgraduate degree from IIM Calcutta. He has been associated in Product Management in education sector for 9 years. He discussed case studies in ‘Marketing Management’ and gave insights into various areas of marketing.
COMSENSE 2011: Due to the overwhelming response from the students, this festival of the department which was started during 2009-10 was also held in 2010-11 on 13th and 14th January 2011. The festival was inaugurated by Mr. Rajesh Dedhia, Director, Vantage Academy –conducting courses in CFP and other courses. He delivered a talk on ‘Importance and Options of Investments in Stock Market’. This year ‘Commsense’ offered five events. On13th January 2011, Business quiz, Debate & Powerpoint competitions were conducted and on 14th January 2011, Logo makeover and ‘Salesman of the year’ competitions were held. Enthusiastic students from both the streams Science as well as Arts joined in for a host of events. The festival was a grand success which included competitions and enriching activities listed as under:
· Business Quiz was followed by Debate competition based on the topic ‘Are item songs important in today’s Cinema?’ The topic was debated upon with strong arguments wherein the participants tried their best to project their views articulately. Mr. Prasan Kamat, an MBA from ‘The Goa Institute of Management’ & currently, Director of Career Launcher India Ltd. judged the competition. Nicole Fernandes, Anand Srinivas & Sejal Yadav won first, second and third prize respectively.
· The second day of the festival started with a very interesting competition titled ‘Logo makeover’ based on redesigning an existing logo was conducted. Mr.Ashutosh Datar, Bsc gold medalist, Post graduate in Computers & Management & currently CEO of an advertising Company judged the competition. He also interacted and shared tricks of advertising trade with the students. Abhay Raghavan & Tamanna Ahmed, Ashwini Deshpande & Devika Shivdekar were the first prize winners, Rajeshwari Nayak & Sayali Latkar won the second prize and Shantanu Padale & Samkit Khatadia won the third prize.
· The festival got over on 14th January 2011 with the prize distribution ceremony where winners were presented with certificates & cash prizes.
· Mrs. Urmila Moon, Head – Department of Commerce acquired her Ph.D. in February 2011 from TilakMaharashtra University, Pune. Participation in seminars/conferences: Dr. Urmila Moon, Head-Department of Commerce participated in the following seminars/conferences:
· Participated in a workshop on Case Studies in Marketing and Human Resource Management organized by Jhunjhunwala College, Mumbai on 30th July 2010.
· Participated in a two day National Level seminar on ‘Best Practices in Colleges’ conducted by IQAC,Jhunjhunwala College on 15th and 16th December 2010.
· Participated in a National level Seminar titled ‘Third Cycle of Reaccreditation’ on 12th February 2011 conducted at Birla College, Kalyan.
· Presented a paper ‘Higher Education- a Powerful Tool for Women Empowerment’ at a two day National level Conference on 7th and 8th January, 2011, held by Pragati College of Arts and Commerce, Dombivali.
Activities of Department of Commerce in 2009-10:
On 4th November 2009, Mr Ullas Ucchil, LIC Officer, delivered a talk on “Health Insurance & Mediclaim facilities” for students of the first year. He provided an insight into the world of Insurance and also touched upon the different types of insurance policies.Another enriching seminar was conducted by Ms Gauri Kamat, representative of Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE India) on “Entrepreneurship in India” for students of Economics and Commerce on 27th January 2010. The students were enlightened and informed about how to be a Successful Entrepreneur. Mr. Arvind Dhond, Lecturer, Finance, St. Xavier’s College delivered a talk on “Mutual Funds & Stock Exchanges in India’’ for the Second and Third year students of Commerce. The talk introduced the students to the interesting field of finance and enhanced their understanding of the subject.Educational visit:A study tour was organized to the Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE) on the 1st of February 2010 for students of Economics and Commerce. A total of 50 students belonging to all three classes, participated in this informative session. It provided a glimpse into the working of the Stock Markets and also explained in detail the structure, history and current operations of the BSE. There was a short presentation done on CDSL also.
COMSENSE 2010:One of the most successful programs of the department which received an overwhelming response from the students was a two day festival- “COMSENSE-2010” which was organized for the first time this year. This two day event comprised diverse activities and competitions which were thoroughly enjoyed by the students.The events were as follows:1. Business Quiz. 2. Logo Makeover. 3. Group Discussion.Mrs. Devyani Ganpule, Senior Lecturer in Economics, Ruia College chaired the group discussions and helped the participants in improving their communication as well as debating skills. Mr Abhishek Dandekar, an expert in the field of media, journalism & creative arts as well a lecturer in Ruia College judged the Logo Makeover Contest. He also provided the participants with the industry requirements and basics of logo designing. Ms. Angelina Fernandes worked in the Department of Commerce from November 2009 till May 2010. She diligently completed all her responsibilities and guided the students well. Using effective learning techniques and by taking initiatives such as the Commerce Festival and the Study Tour, she was successful in creating strong student engagement with the subject. Her sincere contribution to the department and her quality work is highly appreciable.
Miss Urmila Prasad, Head of dept. of Commerce, presented following papers:
Faculty Achievements in 2008-09:
· Invited as a Resource person to talk on ‘Curricular Aspects’ - Criterion I, for NAAC report preparation at a State Level Seminar conducted by Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala college, Mumbai on 23rd February 2008.
· Won Second Prize for the Paper titled ‘An Evaluative Study of Growth Parameters of Small Scale Sector in India in the context of globalisation’ at National Conference and Research Paper Contest titled ‘Changing Management Paradigms’ held at Indira Institute of Business Management, Navi Mumbai on 22nd November 2008.
Achievement of Students (Department of Commerce) in 2009-2010:
RUIA COMMERCE ASSOCIATION:
(An association affiliated to department):
Achievement of Students (Department of Commerce) in 2009-2010: