DEPT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
Established in the year 2002, The Department of Biotechnology at Ramnarain Ruia College stands strong completing 15 years of astounding success through 11 batches of T.Y.B.Sc and 8 batches of M.Sc. With apex popularity within Mumbai University and beyond, the Department stands proud with several academic and co-curricular achievements of students including University toppers, excelling research/ industry performers and rising entrepreneurs too!
The Department strives hard to achieve these goals with the help of its dynamic faculty; a dedicated Departmental library with more than 1000 freely accessible books, dedicated bioinformatics lab, air conditioned, advantageously furnished laboratories, dedicated areas for animal, plant tissue culture and of course ever supporting non teaching and technical staff.
While the Department not only boasts of its academic achievements, it also equally focuses on the overall grooming of the student’s persona and their social outreach. They are constantly kept updated about the current trends in applied sciences and associated careers through trending seminars, conferences, guest lectures and workshops held round the year. Since inculcating research aptitude has been a regular practice, students are constantly pursued to take up internships in India as well as abroad. Under DBT’s “Star College Scheme”, the Department has been recently encouraged for projects which are on-going or in pipeline. We look forward to many more glorious years with even more achievements and growing stronger alumni.
Biotechnology is a vast field weaving the basic sciences into an interdisciplinary approach. As one walks through the syllabus, it will be evident that it encompasses a variety of subsections from different science discipline which in the end connect to one other. It includes traditional but indispensible papers like Genetics, Immunology, Cell Biology, and Fermentation Technology etc to upcoming and industry oriented papers like Bioinformatics, Clinical Research, and IPR.
COURSED OFFERED BY DEPARTMENT
- UNDERGRADUATE COURSE
Course Name: B.SC Biotechnology
Intake Capacity: 35
Eligibility: 12th PASS
- POST GRADUATE COURSE
Course Name: M.Sc Biotechnology
Intake Capacity: 30
Eligibility: B. Sc Biotechnology Only
- DOCTORATE COURSE
Course Name: Ph.D. Biotechnology
Intake Capacity: 5Eligibility: 1. M.Sc in Biotechnology/ Life sciences/ Botany/Zoology/Biochemistry/Bioanalytical Sciences & NET/SET/PET
FACULTY IN THE DEPARTMENT (Collapsible Tab)
MS. Supriya Kale, Head of Department
Ms. Pramada Karnik, Assistant Professor
MS. Navjeet Kaur Lotey
Ms. Neha Ahir
MS. Kalpana Dabhade
MS. Rucha Karmarkar
MS. PAllavi Ghoghale
ACTIVITIES ORGANISED BY DEPARTMENT (Collapsible Tab)
- Mr. Omkar Juvekar Business Development manager in LG life science : Cosmetics and Biotechnology’by Mr. Omkar Juvekar Business Development manager in LG life science.
- Dr. Bharatan (Chair, Dept. of Biology, Indiana university of Pennsylvania )- “Modern Approaches to detect Biological Agents”
- Three day workshop on Basic techniques in Animal Tissue Culture Techniques.
- Recent trends in Food Biotechnology
- EDUCATIONAL VISITS
- CCMB (Hyderabad), SULA wines, Potato Research Institute (Shimla).
ILLUSTROUS ALUMNI: (Collapsible Tab)
- Sushant Mondal : Group Leader service Experience - Ameriprise India Pvt.Ltd.
- Dr. Smita Patil : Research Scientist – Reliance Industries Ltd.
- Akshay kumar Ganguly: Research Associate – Sysmex Corporation, Kobe, Japan
- Manthan : Product Manager, catering all India for Lab classics and Biochemidtry portfolio of Merk and Sigma.
- Nilesh Gala: Entrepreuner – Modeling solutions LLP
- Chinmay Khanolkar : Entreprenuer of Environmental Firm Prachinmay .
- Yukti Bharwani: Senior Managing Editor- Cactus Communication.
- Hiral Zaveri : Senior Associate- Apllied Stem cells USA.
- Snehal Joshi: Post doctoral fellowship- Oak ridge National Lab, Tennessee